Our Privacy Law Team regularly advises private sector clients, as well as public sector institutions, government institutions, clients whose personal or confidential information is held by a government agency, and clients seeking information from the government with respect to privacy and related freedom-of-information issues. Our team provides advice on every aspect of privacy and data protection, from the collection and management of information to crisis management in the event of a breach.
We may also assist our clients on compliance matters involving the application of privacy and data protection legislation, responses to privacy-related complaints and to Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy requests.
We have advised and represented clients in a wide variety of matters including:
- Regulatory Compliance Matters, including compliance with, and interpretation of, privacy laws and regulations such as Personal Information and Protection of Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA), Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA), Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA), and Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL);
- Explaining privacy requirements to boards and senior management as well as to the staff that will be implementing the policies related to privacy compliance;
- Conducting audits to assess how an organization collects, uses, retains and discloses personal information, and what consents are needed from individuals to allow the organization to continue these practices;
- Drafting contractual agreements with detailed privacy and security requirements;
- Drafting consent forms for the collection, use and disclosure of personal information; and
- Developing comprehensive privacy policies, including designing systems and procedures for clients to meet requirements of federal and provincial regulations.